It has bits of 1960s newspaper covering gaping holes in the floor, wood is rotting and wall panels have begun to fray – but a derelict Tempe home has become hot property as developers chase deals in Sydney’s falling housing market.
The uninhabitable home has hit the market with demand so intense that some developers are reportedly asking for contracts without even inspecting it.
The three-bedroom, one-bathroom residence at 27 Station Streetincludes missing wall panelling, stained and rotting floorboards and broken windows.
It is set for auction on September 5 and is listed with a price guide of $950,000.
According to property records, the home was last sold in 1991 for $105,000.
Listing agent Megan Smith of Laing+Simmons Balmain said the deceased estate was in “unliveable” condition.
27 Station Street, Tempe is set for auction with a $950,000 price guide
Inside the home is stained and rotting floorboards and walls
“I’m not actually sure how long ago somebody was living in the home but it’s pretty much in disrepair,” she said.
“Obviously subject to counsel approval, but pretty much it’s a knockdown. I don’t think you could salvage what’s there.”
You will find newspapers dated back to the 1960s covering decking at the front of the home, while in the backyard there are overgrown roots and its fence line is falling down around its perimeter.
“It’s very rundown – pretty raw, poor condition,” Ms Smith said.
Throughout its campaign so far, Ms Smith said there has been predominantly interest from developers for the home, with some requesting contracts without seeing the property first.
“A lot of people are requesting the contract without coming to the open home,” she said.
“It’s pretty straightforward is the feedback that I’ve had from some of the developers and what’s involved. Therefore, they don’t need to come to the site.”
MORE:1.4m Aussies making their homes ‘poorer’
The home features broken and missing wall-panelling and flooring
The home’s backyard is overgrown with its fencing falling down
An aerial view of the Tempe home
“It’s basically a blank canvas for someone to start again,” Ms Laing said.
“I’m pretty sure the council should let you knock it down and start again. It’s not heritage listed.
“I think the scope’s there for somebody to do something pretty amazing.”
MORE: 30pc rent increase warning echoes Labor’s 1980s hikes

