Close Menu
Industry Movement

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest creative news from FooBar about art, design and business.

    What's Hot

    Junction’s $36m Tonsley social housing hub opens

    August 21, 2026

    Duplantis clears 6.21m, Karalis 6.16m in historic pole vault contest in Lausanne | REPORTS

    August 21, 2026

    Pakistan, Syria plot fresh course, propose joint business council

    August 21, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    • About Us
    • Contact Us
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Pinterest Vimeo
    Industry Movement
    • Home
    • Real Estate
    • Current News
    • Business
    • Entertainment
    Industry Movement
    Home»Business»Travelodge boss steps down as chain tackles security after sex assault at hotel
    Business

    Travelodge boss steps down as chain tackles security after sex assault at hotel

    adminBy adminAugust 20, 2026No Comments4 Mins Read
    Share Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Reddit Telegram Email
    Travelodge boss steps down as chain tackles security after sex assault at hotel
    Share
    Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email

    Travelodge boss resigns as chain tackles security after sex assault at hotel

    In an interview with the BBC in March, Travelodge chief executive Jo Boydell said she only became aware of the assault during the court case almost three years later

    The boss of Travelodge, Jo Boydell, has stepped downas the group addresses safety issues after a sexual assault at one of its hotels.

    A woman staying at a hotel in Maidenhead was sexually assaulted in December 2022 after a man lied to staff to get a key card to her room. Kyran Smith was jailed for more than seven years for the attack.

    Many people have since contacted the BBC over room security incidents at Travelodges and a review of security measures at the firm is under way.

    Boydell had been criticised for the firm’s handling of safety issues. She said she only heard about the assault years after it had happened, although it emerged the victim had emailed her shortly after the attack.

    When questioned about the victim’s email, sent in January 2023 one month after the assault, Boydell said it had been “handled on my behalf” and there had been “serious failures”.

    Earlier this month, a domestic violence victimtold the BBC how she was attacked in her hotel room after Travelodge reception staff gave a key to her abuser.

    The woman said she was “failed” by the chain and described it as one of the “most traumatic nights of my life” after the man kicked the door off its hinges.

    She said she ran downstairs “shaking, crying and begging for help”, adding: “I thought someone would protect me.”

    Instead, she was offered another room in the hotel.

    In another incident, a couple in Scotland woke to find a shirtless man in their hotel bedroom after he was mistakenly given a key card to their door.

    In April, a group of hotel guests said they were given keys to other people’s rooms twice in one week at a Travelodge branch in Newham, east London.

    John Nowell, who was part of a corporate group staying at the hotel, told the BBC that his key card allowed him into a room where the occupant was in the middle of a shower.

    Liberal Democrat Freddie van Mierlo is the MP for Thame, where Travelodge’s HQ is based, and has previously called for Boydell to resign. On Thursday, he told the BBC he was pleased that she was leaving the firm.

    “I’ve always said that what’s wrong is the business model – it’s made far too many cuts, deep cuts, to the company in order to have a low-cost model. That’s an important part of the market, but that can never put guest safety at risk,” he said.

    He said he wants the investors in the chain to release capital and fund “deep changes” within the company.

    Security issues at Travelodge drew the attention of the government early this year. In March, then Prime Minister Sir Keir Starmer wrote to Boydell urging her to “seriously engage” with the government over security at Travelodge hotels.

    An independent review into security at the hotel chain is ongoing and is being led by barrister Paul Greaney KC.

    In its statement on Thursday, Travelodge also outlined several measures it was taking to address security issues.

    It highlighted a partnership “with a leading Violence Against Women and Girls expert” who is training some of the firm’s senior leaders, as well as reviewing the company’s existing policies.

    Any additional or replacement room keys now require explicit permission from the guest staying in the room, the firm said.

    The chain said it had also carried out checks across all of its UK rooms to confirm that all key-card doors have a secondary deadbolt.

    Boydell, who stood down on 17 August, has been replaced on an interim basis by the company’s chief financial officer Ray Reidy.

    In a statement, Reidy said: “We remain focused on the safety and well-being of our guests and will continue taking the actions necessary to strengthen the business.

    “We will also continue to engage proactively and constructively with government and the wider hospitality industry on the issue of safety and security.”

    ‘We were given keys to occupied hotel rooms twice’


    Travelodge

    boss chain down steps Travelodge
    Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email
    Previous ArticleCorus Entertainment cuts more jobs across Global News and radio | Daily Hive
    Next Article Dust devil caught on camera spinning up dirt in Green Cove Springs
    admin
    • Website

    Related Posts

    Business

    Pakistan, Syria plot fresh course, propose joint business council

    August 21, 2026
    Business

    Disney and ABC sue FCC, seeking to stop early license renewal process

    August 20, 2026
    Business

    At Walmart, billions in tariff refunds soften the blow from slower sales growth

    August 20, 2026
    Add A Comment
    Leave A Reply Cancel Reply

    Top Posts

    Drug Enforcement Agency joins probe into Hayden Panettiere’s death: Sources

    August 20, 20261 Views

    Junction’s $36m Tonsley social housing hub opens

    August 21, 20260 Views

    Duplantis clears 6.21m, Karalis 6.16m in historic pole vault contest in Lausanne | REPORTS

    August 21, 20260 Views
    Stay In Touch
    • Facebook
    • YouTube
    • TikTok
    • WhatsApp
    • Twitter
    • Instagram

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest tech news from FooBar about tech, design and biz.

    Most Popular

    Pakistan, Syria plot fresh course, propose joint business council

    August 21, 20260 Views

    Como mayor hit by electric bike and issues blanket ban in Italian city

    August 21, 20260 Views

    Podcaster Jake Shane Reveals His Dad Wrote Disney Movies You Grew Up On – Here’s The List

    August 20, 20260 Views
    Our Picks

    Akshaye Khanna stuns as Shukracharya in ‘Mahakali’ first look

    August 20, 2026

    Trump vows tougher economic measures on Iran and supporting countries

    August 20, 2026

    Jason Statham’s Mutiny accidentally streams on Prime Video before release

    August 20, 2026

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest creative news from FooBar about art, design and business.

    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Pinterest
    • About Us
    • Contact Us
    • Terms & Conditions
    • Privacy Policy
    • Disclaimer

    © 2026 industrymovement.com. All rights reserved. Designed by DD.

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.